Tuesday 26 February 2013

RAW THUMB PRINT COOKIES!






 Another healthy dessert recipe!



Last night after dinner, I cleaned the kitchen and then sat down to relax. Not two minutes later I jumped up and headed back for the kitchen. It’s not unusual for a recipe to just piece itself together in my head. It’s happened many times and I can never ignore them. In fact not too long ago I was lying in bed tossing and turning, it was in the wee hours of the morning and once again an idea for a recipe popped in my head. Of course I couldn’t ignore it, so I got up and went to the kitchen.



 THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED:

Frying pans, cookie sheets and mixing bowls galore.
Flours, egg re-placers, almond milk and more!
Gluten free pancakes was what I was going to make,
the best ones ever, for my tummy’s sake.
I whipped up a batter, so confident indeed,
they’d make it to a cook book that everyone would read!
I poured the batter in the pan and on a cookie sheet,
which one would be better? Which one would I eat?
The ones in the frying pan stuck like glue,
they tasted even worse and were very hard to chew.
The ones on the cookie sheet tasted like crap,
so terrible indeed I wouldn’t feed the cat.
I tossed them out in a hurry, the kitchen was a mess,
I tidied up as best I could and finally got some rest!

Yeah, yeah, I know, pancakes on a cookie sheet? What was I thinking? Luckily this time I had success, but this time instead of pancakes, they're cookies! They're raw, refined sugar and wheat free, nut/seed free and delicious!



EQUIPMENT: Food Processor


INGREDIENTS:
#1 2  cups wheat free oatmeal,divided.
Great for a snack, dessert or even breakfast!
#2 8 medjool dates (pitted)
#3 ¾ cup organic shredded coconut
#4 ¼ cup real maple syrup
#5 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
#6 1 -2 teaspoons of cacao nibs
#7 A little extra shredded coconut


WHAT TO DO:
#1 Put 1 cup of oatmeal in the food processor along with the dates, process until crumbly.
#2 Add coconut, salt and maple syrup, process again.
#3 Add the other cup of oatmeal and process until combined.
Yum!
#4 A tablespoon at a time, roll them into balls. Place them on a cookie sheet and press your thumb into the center of them. 
#5 In the center of each cookie sprinkle a few cacao nibs and a bit of coconut.
#6 That’s it! Eat them as is or put them in the freezer for a short while to firm them up a bit.
#7 Enjoy!

NOTES:
#1  I used wheat free oats, so I’m not sure they’re entirely gluten free. However, I have an intolerance to gluten and these oats don’t bother me. If you have celiac disease, please take care to find gluten free oats or pass on the recipe. I totally understand.

#2 I use organic shredded coconut because regular shredded coconut contains additives like sulfites. Sulfites show up in a lot of foods, the best way to avoid them is to eat organic whenever possible.http://www.livestrong.com/article/534368-sodium-sulfite-in-food/
#3 Makes about 12-16 cookies
#4 Store leftovers in the freezer.
#5 Since these cookies are nut/seed free, they’re great to pack in school lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment